Skip to content
0 items

YoungYarn's Cotton Story: organic versus regular cotton

by Lieke Fidom 16 Aug 2023
Cotton field (turkey / izmir)

We have a soft spot for cotton. It is the star fabric of our kids wear, from our onepieces to our leggings. But not just any cotton—it's always certified organic cotton.

You might think organic cotton is the standard, but unfortunately, it's not. Only a small percentage, about 1.5%, of all cotton globally is grown organically. There's a world of difference between this small percentage of organic cotton and the remaining 98.5% of regular cotton, especially when it comes to water use and pollution. Let's dive into the differences.

Cotton is a thirsty crop. However, there is a considerable difference in how organic and regular cotton handle this water. Regular cotton uses chemical pesticides that, while protecting the plants from diseases and pests, end up in the environment—in the soil and the water. This is often the water that the local community relies on for drinking, cooking, and cleaning.

With organic cotton, no chemical pesticides are used, meaning no pollution of the water in the surrounding area occurs. Moreover, in the organic production chain, strict rules are enforced about water pollution. The water used for dyeing and processing the fabric cannot leave the factory without being cleaned.

Cotton Field Izmir

There's a significant difference in how organic and non-organic farming methods use this precious resource. Regular cotton farming needs a lot of water, mostly from irrigation. This can be tough on local water supplies, especially in dry places where water is already scarce. This puts a strain not just on the environment, but also on people who depend on the same water for their everyday needs.

In contrast, organic cotton farming follows a more nature-friendly approach. It focuses on regions that are naturally richer in rainfall. This eco-conscious water management method reduces the stress on local water supplies and works harmoniously with nature, effectively utilizing rainwater in a cyclical process.

Moreover, organic farming practices promote healthy soil, thereby enhancing its ability to retain water. Robust soil can absorb water during wet periods and slowly release it during drier times, allowing organic cotton crops to thrive without the need for excessive irrigation.

When you opt for organic cotton products, you're making an environmentally thoughtful choice that respects our planet's water resources. It's a simple yet significant step towards ensuring a sustainable future for our children.

It's clear that organic cotton is much better for the environment, people, and animals than regular cotton. We hope that more and more companies follow our lead and choose organic cotton. And, of course, we hope we've inspired you to choose products made from organic cotton.

Thanks for subscribing!

This email has been registered!

Shop the look

Choose Options

Edit Option
Back In Stock Notification
Product SKURatingDescription Collection Availability Product Type Other Details
this is just a warning
Shopping Cart (0)